Good morning from cookie central. My mom and I have spent more than twelve hours in the kitchen together baking cookies. One of our family traditions is to for my mom and I to decorate the Christmas tree and bake cookies together each year. Even though this means that the first few days home are jam-packed, I wouldn’t have it any other way.
Instead of limiting our cookies to one or two types, we do our best to please everyone by baking each person’s favorite cookie or treat. So far, we’ve baked eight different types of desserts ranging from peanut butter blossoms, toffee bars and sugar cookies.
When you’re tempted to eat cookies for breakfast, the easiest solution is putting the flavors in your oatmeal. Yesterday morning’s breakfast was a delicious, five-minute chai cookie oatmeal.
Time: 5 minutes
- 1 cup quick cooking oats
- 1 1/2 cup hot water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon flax seed oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons honey, plus more to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract, optional
- 1/8 cup chopped pecans
- Optional 1 teaspoon brown sugar or sugar in the raw to sweeten
Combine all ingredients together, stirring well. Once combined, either put in oven on 350 degrees for 5 minutes to warm and bake or put in microwave to bake. Divide into two servings and enjoy!