Yup, this is what it looks like in New York City today – rain, rain and more rain. I guess even May showers will bring May flowers?
Did this week drag by SO slowly for anyone else? Now that Friday has arrived, I’m ready to relax big time this weekend. I pushed myself a little harder than expected this week between workout dates, some work projects and nesting. Luckily, this weekend is starting with a fun massage and Target shopping trip with Heather this evening, relaxing at home with Bo tonight and then very few plans for the rest of the weekend other then our friend’s annual Kentucky Derby party tomorrow night. I have no idea what I’m wearing but hopefully one of my stretchy maxi dresses can work for the occasion. We are supposed to have a rainy weekend here in Brooklyn which means I’ll have to delay some of my gardening plans and errands. Oh well, just another excuse to relax, slow down and spend some time reading.
Now, let’s dive into this week’s edition of Friday Favorites, including recipes, articles, posts and other things that caught my eye this week.
- Two of my dear friends have had a very tough few months and I find myself often at a loss for words when I talk with them. Asking them “how are you doing” seems so silly when I know that life sucks right now. Thankfully this article by Shery Sandberg helped me better understand how to talk with grieving friends and reminded me that ignoring their grief isn’t the right choice. Has anyone read her new book, Option B?
- When Bo and I were in Savannah we went to Publix one afternoon to pick up Publix subs for lunch. Since I can’t go in a grocery store without perusing the aisles, we walked out with our sub sandwiches and two bags worth of things that we hadn’t seen in New York. These Dark Chocolate Blue Diamond Natural Roasted Almonds have become one of my favorite afternoon snacks since that grocery trip. Luckily, I discovered that I can order these and the rest of their flavors online!
- When I work from home I love to light a candle and listen to music, especially when I’m focused on a project. This chill, cool down Spotify playlist that Nicole shared has been on repeat all week.
- I shared a few healthier ice cream alternatives last month but this high protein banana froyo from Self Magazine has 10 grams of protein and just 3 ingredients!
- Can we take a moment to talk about reality TV? Other than Top Chef, Bo nor I have ever watched reality tv. However, that is about to change with the premiere of Southern Charm Savannah. On Monday night our hometown will be the location of Bravo’s latest reality show. It’s crazy to think that one of the cast members was in our wedding and three others went to our high school. I’m sure it’ll be a dramatic, hot mess but I can’t wait to tune in for the drama and to see how they portray these people we know as well as our hometown.
- This healthy Mexican Shrimp Salad has recieved a lot of traffic on the blog this week, just in time for Cinco de Mayo! I think I may have to make it next week on one of our non Hello Fresh nights.
- These colorful drawstring shorts seem like they’d be perfect for Summer and SO comfortable either as a cover-up at the beach or for weekend errands. I may have to order them since their forgiving fit and elastic waistband will allow me to enjoy them after giving birth.
- I have a thing for stripes, especially if they happen to be navy or pink. This striped boatneck t-shirt is on sale for just $22 and will be the perfect addition to my Summer closet!
- As you guys know, I’m currently dealing with a case of pregnancy mask or chloasma. When Julie shared this natural, brightening cleanser on her Friday Favorites last week, I decided to give it a try. Thanks to the magic of Amazon, the Amara Organics Vitamin C Cleanser arrived the next day and over the past week I’ve fallen in love with the light citrus scent and how fresh and clean my skin feels after I use it. It even removes my makeup and mascara, which is something I’ve had issues with when trying out different natural face washes.
- There are a TON of great fitness events taking place in New York City next week including NYC Fit Week and National Fitness Day. NYC FITWeek is an annual event that unites the local fitness community to pay it forward for education. Created by Emily Cook Harris, FITWeek has raised over $16,000 for education to date! During the week of MAY 8 – 13th, 25 fitness classes across NYC will support She’s the First (providing education scholarships and mentorships to girls in low-income countries) and DonorsChoose.org (providing public school teachers with the basic supplies their students need to succeed). I think I’m going to do my best to make it to the 7 AM rooftop Exhale workout at Refinery Hotel to kick off National Fitness Day on Thursday as well as the Friday evening NYC Fit Week Uplift Strength class.
- After receiving these Brooks Go-To Running Capris at their Fall Preview event last week, I’ve worn these fun, neon pink crops non-stop. They are stretchy enough to grow with my body, the wide waistband stays upduring workouts and the lightweight material is perfect for any workout, even the sweatiest Orangetheory class or last night’s Uplift Strength class.
- While I won’t be enjoying a glass of rose wine until Baby Girl Diamond arrives, it’s not too early to stock up on some of these “best rose for your buck” wines right?
Disclaimer: This post is not sponsored and instead is a list of the things of my favorite things this week. As normal, it includes lots of beauty and fashion items which means there are a few affiliate links via ShopStyle. It takes time and money to maintain a blog so I thank you for the support and few cents that come from clicking through the links!